CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Climb For Life


Last year I participated in a fundraiser for ovarian cancer through the,
Hera Foundation
. It is called Climb for Life. The goal for this fundraiser is to raise money while doing something that is fun: ROCK CLIMBING. I had learned about it two years ago and decided to get involved last year. I only raised one hundred dollars, but in one week I completed over 25 climbs. I had so much fun and got a few cool prizes for participating. So this year I decided to show my support again, and I'm upping my challenge. I am hoping to raise $500 dollars and climb at least 100 different routes.
Let me tell you why this is a great cause and maybe you will want to help me out too!

THE FACTS
Ovarian cancer kills more women than all the Gynecologic Oncology combined.

More than 16,000 women will die this year alone and more than 25,500 will be diagnosed. In fact, the biggest problem with ovarian cancer is that the early warning signs are often missed by women and their doctors. That's because the symptoms can seem like everyday pains.

WHY IT IS DIFFICULT TO DIAGNOSE
There is no reliable screening test for the early detection of ovarian cancer. The Pap smear only checks for cervical cancer.

Symptoms are often vague and easily confused with other diseases.

RAISE YOUR AWARENESS

Early recognition of symptoms is the best way to save women's lives. Early symptoms include:

Bloating, a feeling of fullness, gas
Frequent or urgent urination
Nausea, indigestion, constipation, diarrhea
Menstrual disorders, pain during intercourse
Fatigue, backaches.

Women should be concerned if the symptoms last for two to three weeks.

The above information has been provided through the following website ,
Ovarian Cancer .


I will start my challenge in March, but you are all welcome to help me. Just let me know if you are interested! Otherwise I will try to post pictures of my climbs and keep you all updated on my success!

0 comments: