CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 17, 2006

Whakatane in a Day


After spending two nights in Rotorua we rose early to get a start over to a oceanside town, Whakatane (promised Fa-ka-ta-na). We wanted to make a trip there, because there is boat tour to White Island, which is an active volcano in the ocean. We booked a tour the day before, dependent on the weather. It would take us over an hour to get there and we would not know if the tour was still on, until thirty minutes beforehand so we made the trip anyways.

Unfortunately for us, the boat trip was cancelled due to rocky water. After arriving in Whakatane, I understood as I saw surfers trying to ride very large waves. Of course Torey and I were a little disappointed about not going on the tour, but we made our way to the local tourist office to gather ideas on hikes and attractions. One thing that is really nice in NZ are the information centers. I realized from day one that NZ is the brochure capitol of the world. They make brochures for everything and each brochure has a different map. Each time we stopped in a town we went into the information office empty handed and we almost always left with our hands full. Plus, the staff at each information office knew local activities to keep us busy and they were willing to make phone calls to book any accommodation, ferry ride, or activity we had in mind.

The women at the Whakatane information center suggested that we do a free city walk to see all the important sights of the Maori tribe who were from the area. She gave us a good map and we started on our way. We found ourselves following the water's edge looking for statues, caves, replica canoes, waterfalls, and even a lookout point. We did find most of the them, but got lost on the way. That seemed our habit for the trip and it was very frustrating. It didn't help that I was beginning to be irritated with my travel partner. We both needed some alone time, which would not come until two days later! We trekked around the town, stopping only when we reached the edge of the coast. Torey walked along the rocks to take pictures and I stopped to talk with a local fisherman.

One of my favorite things to do while in travel is meet people. It was nice to have a new conversation with a stranger. The man I spoke to was Maori, very skinny, and his clothing seemed a bit raggedy. He had a weathered look, as if he had worked outside his whole life. I asked about the catch that day as I watched him reel in another fish. He already had three in his bucket. I found out he was a retired man, sick with emphysema, which was caused by a life of cigarette smoking. He talked about how difficult it was to reel in the fish, because of a low energy level. He was resting while we were talking, but he seemed thankful that he could still walk. It was a simple conversation, but so needed on my part. I just wanted to get out and meet someone different, someone out of my world. The fisherman filled that role and gave me a little more patience for the irritations that I found while traveling with a friend.

Before we left Whakatane, we decided to find a seafood restaurant. Fish and chips seemed like the obvious choice. The information office suggested a popular restaurant called Barnacles, which was smack in the center of the city. I noticed more locals ordering food then anyone else, so I assumed it to be a reputable place. The fish and chips were another story and you will just have to wait to hear about our experience...

3 comments:

Happy Villain said...

I'm so glad you're having a rocking good time! You are such an inspiration to me -- you just have no idea!

I have a big announcement to make soon, and I want you to know that you are a big part of my reasoning behind making this monumental decision in my life. We all deserve to be happy and have adventures all the time. Thank you for sharing yours and making me see that I just have to be brave like you and take that scary step toward something new.

Have a fabulous time in Australia and on the remainder of your trip. I look forward to more stories and photos of your current adventures, as well as the soon to come ones from Alaska.

AJEYA RAO said...

Interesteing. A walk definetly brings you closer to nature. Meeting people and knowing their life style and culture is something that I enjoy doing as well.

Travelin' Tracy said...

HV- I am looking forward to your big news. I can tell you need the change, isn't it exciting? Thank you for always encouraging me on!

AR- I love taking walks. I did that today, because the weather was nice. I need to post again...soon, i promise.