CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I know it is months away, but I am already planning and making lists for our upcoming move to Kosovo. Tuesday night I woke up at 4:30 in the morning because I was thinking about things that I wanted to pack. My head was a jumble of things, "I should remember my spices, and maybe a few pieces of tupperware?" I had purchased a guide book about a week before and it just happened to arrive in the mail on Tuesday. I was so caught up reading it and filling my brain with ideas that I couldn't seem to shut my brain off. "Since they do not have applicator tampons, I might want to pack a few boxes. It gets cold there too, maybe an extra blanket? Or we could always buy that there." I have no idea what I am going to do with all my shoes. Maybe we will just have to come home for Christmas so that I can bring some more belongings with me when I return. Luckily Wednesday was a snow day so I was able to sleep in a bit and when I finally got up I made a list for all the things that were jumbled in my head. I really don't need to be thinking about packing at this point in time.

It has been a long week. I arrived to work on Monday morning to read a nasty email from a parent. She was not happy with her son's report card grade. He had completed an assignment and then attached it to his notebook. I can respect that, but he never did turn the assignment in to me. I did not know that it was completed. In addition he is in an honor's class so of course the expectations are that he should be responsible for his work. She did not like my return email and requested a conference with the counselor and the dean. I finally did meet with her on Thursday and it was a rough meeting. She brought a bunch of materials to critique my teaching practices. I do not claim to be a perfect teacher and I admit that I'm not checking the exact percentages that I have divided up for homework, classwork, and tests. I don't always remind every student when they have a missing assignment in my gradebook. The truth is, I am too busy thinking about what I am going to be teaching the next class and how I am going to help my students pass their SOL tests at the end of the year. I am busy trying to find a way to help my student who does not qualify for special education services because she is performing at her IQ level which is around 70 (borderline mental retardation). In fact, I have another child that has just experienced four deaths in his family and I am worried about his metal health. Forgive me if I did not mention to this mother that her son has improved his grade from interim time from an F to a D+ and by the way he only has one more assignment to turn in. I have one hundred students to think about. Of course I want him to do well, but it does not feel real promising when he does not complete the homework to begin with. Sometimes my priority is to help the child that did do their homework and still struggles. Or the child that has parents working two jobs, that speak Spanish and their parents cannot help them study.

I wrote her notes and emails and yet my communication with her was not enough. It is really draining on me when a person chooses to personally attack my teaching practices. Maybe her son needs to focus more in class and take his time on tests. That might also make a difference...What really sucks about it all is that I know she is going to be there nonstop until the end of the year. I appreciate her concern and I realize that she is trying to help him feel successful. She thinks that he has low self-confidence. Well, praise him when he gets his homework in and after studying for a test and he gets a B (my honor's tests are tough and usually it is apparent to see who is really an honor student or not). Truth is, he is a good kid and I really do want him to be successful. I would like to see him improve and take the class seriously. Mostly I would just like some respect from the mom, because I am trying my very best to make each student their best. I have tried very hard to pull kids out of the babying phase of elementary school to the more analytical stage of middle school. That is sort of a team goal that we have in 6th grade.

The meeting was really deflating and I was ready to go home after that. It was hard to put myself into a good mood for Valentine's day with my boyfriend. Thankfully he made the night really special and very memorable. I am ready for the school year to end because I don't want to read anymore emails from this parent and also because I am excited. I am excited to see more of Europe and make a change in my life. I am excited to go with Boulderin' Boyfriend who has become the love of my life. I really look forward to growing with him and being with him everyday in our future apartment. So although it was a long week where I have much to vent about at least I can say that I have something very wonderful to look forward to!

8 comments:

Modigliani said...

Ugh ... I know what it's like to get those critical emails and nagging parents that feel it's all the teacher's fault. You are right, this should be about the kid learning responsibility and what happens when you miss deadlines and don't take responsibility for class assignments. The world will not stop and bend the rules for you in life - why do some parents want to do this for their kids when it comes to their grades? I think it teaches the kids the wrong thing.

Ok, end of venting! :) haha ...

I'm super psyched for you on this Kosovo thing. It's amazing, really!!! I don't know if you wrote about this or not, but does your current school know about your plans? Are you quitting or just taking a leave? ... Just curious.

Here's to the road ahead!

Happy Villain said...

Ah, isn't it interesting how the parents can criticize you as a teacher, though they have no idea what that entails? Also, though you may want to, you can't point out how they're failing as parents. I'm sure if the mom had kept better track of her son (who is less than reliable to get things done and done well), asking about assignments and then asking if he turned them in, maybe you wouldn't be in this boat. However, as hard as it is to deal with this parent, you have to think about what it's like for this boy to have her as a mother. Ugh. I'm surprised he just doesn't give up. Or maybe he is.

And this feeling of restlessness, knowing your future is about to change immeasurably and having to wait for it to come, is really difficult. I'm guessing it will only get worse. But it's a good feeling of anxiety! Isn't that awesome?

I hope while you're in Kosovo you'll still be writing in your blog. If not, I'd love to exchange email addresses with you or become old fashioned pen pals. You can't just walk away and leave me hanging! ;)

Travelin' Tracy said...

Mo- You know, that is the whole point. This mom will not give any exceptions for me (I must contact her always, grade everyting exactly to a rubric and make all my tests perfect) yet she does not keep that same standard for her child. How ironic! And the school I am currently at does know (I had to ask my principal for a reference letter) and I have officially submitted my resignation for the next year so they can start looking for teachers.
There are programs where you can take a leave for a few years and return to your original job, but my boyfriend does not want to return to the same area. We would like to go somewhere that has more mountains and is less suburb...so we did not look into that. However, we did work with a company that allowed us to have some really good benefits: free housing and utlities, the school pays for a plane ticket once a year to return home, and we make a lot for where we are living. It is really going to be awesome!

HV- It is a good anxious feeling. I have been having dreams about it already and I can't wait! Of course I am still planning to blog when I am in Kosovo and actually I think that I will probably be able to blog more because I am going to be taking so many pictures. Every day will feel like an adventure so I will have something to write about. The challenge will be setting up internet at home and seeing how well it actually works. Needless so say, I will not leave you hanging and you will always be more that welcome to visit too!

Modigliani said...

Hey TT, just wanted to come back because I read that Kosovo declared their independence today! Yeah! What an exciting time to be going there. :)

Hey! Would you email me the name of the company you went through? Those benefits and the whole program sound really cool.

mo_digli_deo@yahoo.com

Or, if you feel comfortable you could post it in a comment on my blog.

AMY_BELL - said...

I swear, sometimes parents are the worst part of the job. I think I'm going to have to teach college...at least you don't have parents emailing you there :) Ugh...is it bad that I'm so over middle school already? I really think if I stay here I might not stay a teacher. I hope I get a high school teaching job next year or I might be miserable. Taking your job would be nice in order to borrow some of your materials and ideas but I don't think it's what I want in the end. I hate making decisions. I can't wait to come and visit in Europe...that gives me something to look forward to.

Travelin' Tracy said...

Amy, it doesn't get any easier in high school...in some ways it could be worse....think about it, in high school they are starting to worry about college. It just doesn't end after middle school. Actually I really like middle school age but the parents would be a problem anywhere...that does suck! Europe is going to be fun!

Anonymous said...

So does this mean your going to change the name of your blog to Kosovo Adventures??? Also does this mean you're going to update more often? Just checking! Hope all is well!

Travelin' Tracy said...

Dav- good point...maybe I should change the name of my blog...I don't know I will have to think about it. I don't want to call is Kosovo adventures, but maybe the Balkan Adventures? haha

And hopefully that means I will post more often. I guess it just depends on how well the internet service will work. And I think I will have a lot more to post about, you know a bomb going off down the street, or maybe a quick Serbian attack? haha Hopefully something positive about all the great traveling I will get to do!