CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 29, 2005

My First Alaskan Bear Encounter

Last night I had a scary experience. I went camping in the Chilkoot woods with three friends. It was a simple night, kind of cold, but a seemingly calm night of relaxation. Seriously, it couldn't have been better, because we were getting to be outdoors, but we found a great place right off the road where we parked our car. We were all sitting by a fire outside our tent when it happened. Out of nowhere a huge brown bear approached us. HUGE. I'm talking a grizzly bear that you would see in the movies. And he looked just as hungry and mad that we were in his way.

I freaked out. If you have learned anything about me, then you know that I have a huge fear of bears. I didn't know what to do, but upon instinct, like everyone else, I started to run! Luckily we drove a car to our camping location so three of us ran to the car. It is Alaska, so we don't lock the door which allowed us to jump inside. The bear was running after us. I was sitting in the driver's seat when I noticed that we didn't have the keys, they were in the tent! Now this bear was big and apparently really mad. I was afraid he was going to break one of the windows or crush us if he tried to jump on top of the car. My only hope was that I could put the car in neutral, since we were on a steep road and hope that as we started moving the bear would leave us alone. I know is seems like a far stretch to think that the bear was going to stop but he did...at least he lost interest in us, but that's only because he was distracted by another big animal, a bull moose. I want you to know that I was screaming the whole time. I don't exactly know what happened to the bear or the bull moose, but they were about to fight as we huddle in our car. I stopped trying to move the car at this point, and at least we were somewhat protected.

It was at this point that I woke up. Yep, I was dreaming! Actually, the story is far more scary in my dream, but I didn't think you would believe me if I said that I climbed up a log cabin and the bear knew how to climb too, but I got away and then when I put the car in neutral we were able to escape down the steep road, but we left one of our friends behind and he saved himself because somehow he was able to get a bull moose between him and the bear, and two other friends hide inside a cabin...say all that in one breath! Anyhow, it actually has been my first encounter with bears since I have been here, but I'm hoping that I will see some soon.

I went on a train ride today through the pass into Canada. It was a beautiful ride, with amazing scenery, but unfortunately no wildlife spotting. The company that I work for actually does a combined tour with the Whitepass and Yukon Railway Company, so I got to ride for free with one of our tour guides. I guess I was somewhat helpful with my knowledge, because one of the ladies even gave me a tip! I thought that was funny, since I was taking pictures with the rest of them. I feel like my time here is winding down and that makes me sad. There is so much to do. You honestly need a whole summer to get everything in. I have so many hikes that I just haven't gotten to. Maybe I will come back next year. My employers are trying to entice me. In any case, I'm trying to get as many adventures in as possible and as many wildlife viewings as well...as you can see, I even dream about it!

2 comments:

Modigliani said...

Psych!!!!! ... OMG! You know I was beleiving every word of this! I'm glad it WAS just a dream,though! Wow.

Travelin' Tracy said...

MO- I thought this dream might make for a good entry, seeing as it really has been my first encounter since I got here. I'm glad that it tricked you. I was hoping it would work!