CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Picture Update

I was trying to get these pictures on earlier blogs but it was taking way too long to upload. So I had to wait until I could get the library. I hope you enjoy!
On Saturday I took the fast ferry into Haines, Alaska. They are having the state fair at Haines, so I decided to make the trip. It was a pretty small fair with big vegetables, farm animals, and yummy food. I enjoyed eating sweet potato fries. Unfortunately I missed the log rolling contest because I had to work in the morning. I went walking around the fair with my friend Scott. We were looking at what was being sold at all the stalls. One girl tried to sell us beehives.

Apparently she was crazy enough to find it, cut the branch, and force all the bees to leave their hive. My friend was trying to talk me into getting a hive for my coffee table, "a real conversation piece," but I declined. Before heading back to the ferry I went in search of the surf shop (which I thought would make for a strange picture considering that the water in Alaska will kill you if you are in there for more then five minutes). The real highlight of the day came when we were heading back into Skagway. There was a whale spotting so they slowed down and I got a picture of them breeching. As you might be able to see, one was up and another is about to emerge! Now I'm really looking forward to going on a whale watching tour.
As I mentioned in my last blog entry I went on a train ride up to the summit and into Canada. It was a nice trip with fair weather. The sun was out, but my poor sandaled feet were freezing. I got this picture when I was standing outside of the train car on the balcony. It really is beautiful here.
This is another picture from the train ride. It is a view of the old bridge. It makes for good scenery, but I'm kinda glad we didn't take that route.
One of my friends had her birthday about two weeks ago. I found it really humorous, because earlier in the week she had mentioned how she liked firefighters. Since we know one of the local firemen, we asked him to come and do a little "dance." Being that we are good church girls, it was completely innocent in nature and he only took off his shirt, but I believe it was a birthday present she will not forget and one that had all the ladies cheering! I wouldn't mind something like that myself...she has good friends!

2 comments:

Modigliani said...

OMG ~ Sweet potato fries are the BEST! And those whales are pretty cool, too. LOL!

Kidding of course, the whales looked AMAZING! and a beehive for a coffee table? How cool is that? I LOVE bees. If I lived in a rural area, I think it would be WAY COOL to raise bees and make honey.

Travelin' Tracy said...

Since you love bees, I am assuming you have read, The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Kidd. It is a great book, and I thought it when I was tempted to by the hive. Unfortunately I don't have a coffee table or a good way to ship that home! I should have bought it for you and shipped it to you!