CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Ice Climbing Rocks

I just had the best day ever! I really wanted the chance to ice climb before I left Alaska. After looking at my flight schedule, I realized that I could spend my last day in Juneau and take an ice climbing tour. I decided to go with Above & Beyond Alaska, a family owned guiding company. Here is the website, http://www.beyondak.com/index.html. The owner's name is Sean, and he was my guide. I left Skagway at 5am in a small prop plane and a few hours later I met my guide at Juneau airport. After a short fifteen minute drive, he parked his truck next to a nice wooded trail. I was informed that this trail would lead us to Mendenhall Glacier. In my head I was imagining a really steep hike up to a glacier, but this was actually very easy. There were a few steep parts, but nothing that the average person couldn't do!


Once we reached the ice falls, we attached crampons on our boots and another layer to keep warm. I was so excited to get onto the glacier, especially because I had never used crampons before! Apparently without the crampons, I would have been slipping all over the ice, and with them on I walked like a cowboy because I had to take big wide steps. We were blessed with decent weather, no sunshine, but at least there was no rain either.

I should point out that this was my special tour. Since I was by myself, the entire trip was catered to my desires. And I have to admit that Sean was an amazing guide. He grew up in Juneau, has two undergrad and one graduate degree in the Sciences. As he said to me, "I majored in glaciers and volcanoes." I had learned a little bit about the vegetation and facts about glaciers from being in Skagway, but he truly helped clarify a lot for me. I learned a ton more about the geographic features of a glacier, such as mulans, medial moraines, and why the ice looks blue.

We even zigzagged our way across the glacier to avoid the many crevasses so he could show me a waterfall created by the melting ice. It was a huge amount of water leaving the glacier. Behind the waterfall, there was a big chunk of ice that wanted to fall, I only wish I could have seen it happen! After walking around a bit more and learning (I love learning) we set out to ice climb.


Since I rock climb, I already had a basic understanding of what I needed to do. Sean found a good spot to anchor on the edge of a crevasse. After clipping in, he belayed me down from the top until I reached the bottom of the crevasse. At that point it was all up to me! I got to kick, kick, pick, pick. One foot up, then another, then I moved the ice axes. I truly love climbing. I love the personal challenge that it creates and that feeling of reaching the top (even if my calves are burning). Maybe I am drawn to individual sports, because I know that when I succeed, even if it is a struggle, I did it myself. I accomplished something. Ice climbing was no different. For the most part, it wasn't that hard, but it was a workout. It just makes me feel good to be climbing up a wall...I don't know why, it just does.

After wandering around this crevasse for a while, we moved locations to an ice tunnel. I was super excited because I knew this would make for great pictures. Unfortunately it was a different type of ice, because it was recently formed by water It was a very thick, strong ice so I had a hard time getting my crampons to stick. I stopped to take a few pictures and when I tried to take a step further into the tunnel, I slipped and fell. I got a few bruises on my body, but after laying there for a second, I knew I would be okay. It did however stun me enough that I decided I didn't want to try the climb again. In any case, I got some amazing pictures.

It was the perfect day and well worth the money that I paid. I think I have been converted to the "personal" tour experience. I wish that I could always afford this type of experience. I was able to ask all the questions I wanted and feel a personal connection to my guide. Even though my ice climbing ended with a fall, I love the fact that I have battle wounds to prove I can be tough. It was a bitter sweet moment when the tour was done, because I had to go back to the airport and get on a plane to go home. My Alaska experience would be coming to a close. The good thing is, the blog isn't! Somehow I am going to modify it and keep the blog. The Alaska spirit is still with me and I think it will always be that way.

0 comments: