CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 24, 2006

The Chronic Liar

So recently I read an interesting post on Happy Villain's website, Happyville Library. She mentioned working with a patron that wanted the rules to be bent. I enjoy her posts because they come straight for her daily life at the library. I always think, interesting things happen while I'm at school, but why can't I think of them when I get home? I'm sure Honestly I have to be careful what I write, but I think I'm safe to put this story on the internet!

At my school the teachers work in teams. Basically all my students have the same history, science, math, and English teachers. So we are able to meet as a team of teachers and talk about the students. We compare how they are doing in each class and work together to help those that are struggling or those that have behavior problems. I love it, because when there is a problem with a students behavior we just pull the students into a classroom during our planning and have a "Ring of Fire." We sit in a semi-circle around the student and ask them questions about why they are misbehaving. Sometimes the student cries, but usually we break them down and build them back up (you know, tell them they have the ability to be a good example).

Anyhow, over a month ago we decided as a team to create an extra credit situation for our students. Each month they are required to do a book report for English class. The book this month had to be an autobiography/biography. For the book report they were supposed to dress up as the person and give an oral presentation. Most students pick books about celebrities or sports stars so this year we decided to take a different slant. Our team required the students to pick books about individuals who were important in one of the core subjects and if the students wanted to they could give an extra presentation in the core subject classroom for extra credit.

All month I have had students asking for extra credit approval on books about Abraham Lincoln, Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Walter Raleigh, Anne Frank, Rosa Parks, Sojourner Truth, Eleanor Roosevelt, and many more. I couldn't wait to see the students in their costumes. Today was presentation day. My students were so cute. During the second half of class they would come over to my classroom to present to my class. One boy, who read a book about Sojourner Truth, was my favorite. He put a doilie on his head, wore reading glasses, with a scarf worn as a shawl. I think I was humored because he was representing a female! Joan of Arc was cute too. She was wearing a plastic breastplate with a plastic shield. She kept talking about hearing voices in her head! For the most part, I think the students did a fabulous job.

I was even proud of one student whom I'll call, The Chronic Liar. She has been known to extend the truth. Every other day I have her in my classroom for a mandatory resource time. Basically her grades aren't good so we have pulled her into a teacher's classroom during her "study hall" class. Today she wanted to practice the speech for English. After listening to it twice I gave her a few pointers. I thought she did a nice job preparing, but I wanted her to do well so I reminded her to mention the title and author of the book when she was presenting. After making corrections, I told her that I thought she was going to do well. It was at this moment that she asked to present in my class for extra credit. I said no, because it was too late. She needed to ask for approval by last week.

As the next block got underway students trickled into my room for presentations. Apparently one student in The Chronic Liar's class (a young boy who has recently been dealing with some negative stuff at home) did such a good job on his presentation that the English teacher thought it would be good for him to present in my class too. Even though he hadn't had the book approved, the English teacher thought the positive encouragement of presenting again in history would be good for him. When the Chronic Liar saw this student getting extra credit she decided she needed it too. So she came up with a lie. She told the English teacher that I was so impressed with her presentation during mandatory resource time that I wanted her to present to my class. The English teacher believed her and sent her to my room. Of course I was wondering what she was doing there, but then again I had just seen a student that I wasn't expecting. So I asked her, "Did Mrs. So and So send you?" In reply she said, "Oh yes, Mrs. So and So said that she was impressed with my presentation and that I should present in history too."

Of course I thought that was all a bit weird since the person she presented on was about a women doctor (more of a science field I think). Then again I knew I would get to talk with the English teacher later and then I would better understand why she was sent to me. I let her give the presentation and complied an extra credit grade, but gave it no more thought until the end of the day.

After school while the English teacher and I commented about all the good performances I asked about The Chronic Liar's presentation. Initially I was asking why she didn't have a costume when she presented. Then I mentioned how I thought it was weird that the English teacher had sent The Chronic Liar to me. The English teacher said, "Oh she told me that you were impressed with her and wanted her to present!" Once I figured out she was lying I was ticked off. I can't stand when students try to be sneaky. Seriously, she was stupid for thinking she was going to get away with it. The English teacher and I talk all the time. I just can't wait to see her on Monday when I will confront her about the lies. I'm sure she will come up with a big long story, but it is too late. All extra points have been lost. And to think I was proud of her for preparing in advance for a project! Squirrelly children make me mad.

3 comments:

Modigliani said...

Why? why? Why? ... I guess it's all about getting her own way. It's too bad! And it's so exhausting, isn't it? The tough part is continuing the ability to trust students after stuff like that happens.

It's sad to say, but I'll admit that because of stuff like that, I'm often more distrustful of what students say to me. Just a few lies from a few kids can make me second guess everything everyone says. And I hate that. I don't want to become paranoid, but it's tough.

But your team approach at school sounds great. I think the Chronic Liar needs the face the ring of fire!!

Happy Villain said...

Oooh, that really gets under my skin, too. As if the liar's aware that they'll be caught but they lie and do it anyway. I'd be willing to bet that she didn't do it to get her way, but for the added attention. My own mother is a chronic liar and she gets caught in her lies all the time, but she does it so people will pay attention to her. Then confronting her about the lies causes a massive crying fit and claims that no one loves her. It's such a transparent tactic, though I've yet to figure out a way to cure her. Good luck with the young liar and keep us updated about what happens with her.

Modigliani said...

Oh, and how ironic - Dr. Phil just ran an episode about chronic liars. It's sad that ppl get caught up in such a destructive habit.