CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 29, 2006

Sometimes the Best Holiday...

Sometimes the best holiday is one where you do nothing at all. I'm not talking about sitting at home all day, but more or less not planning the vacation. A month ago I requested off work at the rock climbing gym for Memorial day weekend. I didn't have plans yet, but I knew that it was a long weekend and I might want to go somewhere. There is always the possibility of camping, going to the beach, rock climbing at New River Gorge, or even New York City. Since I'm going on vacation in less then a month to New Zealand and Singapore, I had to be careful about how much money I might spend.

As it turned out, I was invited to spend the weekend at a beach house for about $100 and I was really tempted. I want to go to the beach. But $100 could be a scuba diving excursion in Singapore. Besides, I have spent a little more money then I had wanted to lately. So I decided to stay home. The best thing is that I have loved it! I didn't need to go anywhere to have a good time. I didn't even go out with my friends. I was called on Friday and Saturday night to go out, but I chose not to answer the phone. It just felt nice to make my own schedule and do what I wanted when I wanted to do it!

On Friday I went running and then picked up a book. On Saturday I slept in, got on my bike for a nice ride with my sister, fell off my bike (ouch!), went around town running errands and stopping in a few stores that I don't normally go into. In fact I went into Borders to look for literature about New Zealand and Singapore. I bought two books then headed home to watch a movie with my sister. Since Sunday was my sister's birthday, we spent time together as a family until later in the evening when I decided to work on my scrapbook. Today I slept in, jumped on my bike (with no accidents), cleaned the basement, made food for a barbecue, and then enjoyed the company of my friends from church at my house.

It has been a nice weekend. I had flexibility and time on my side. I went where I wanted to go and slept when I wanted too. I even found time to get some good exercise in. I love it! Seriously, sometimes the best holiday is just staying at home!

5 comments:

sathish said...

hey, do u travel alone or with company??
i always find travelling alone to be easier since you dont need to plan in advance and wait for others & stuff..

travelling abroad is always a problem for me with so many constraints...

Modigliani said...

I agree. Sometimes the best times are when you just have the time to enjoy everyday things RIGHT AT HOME! And it's a lot more affordable than always jetting off to Europe or Asia! ;)

BTW, I LOVE your avatar picture. Something tells me that photo is real, and it REALLY IS YOU! That is just amazing!!!

PS. I am always thinking of you now because I moved close to an amazingly beautiful church for the Latter Day Saints. The building and grounds are just magical. Every weekend there are weddings and it's so cool to see that. I have to go inside someday!!!

travel plaza said...

Hi Tracy,
The best things are sometimes right in our backyard, don't you think? I loved reading your post. I'm in fact a little jeaous. It's been ages since I had a quiet weekend, just the family. I'm hoping to take a vacation sometime soon like the one you had. We did do some canoeing over the holiday weekend and I will be posting about that soon.

Travelin' Tracy said...

Sathish- I like to mix it up! I have travelled on my own and that can be really nice. BUT, sometimes I like being with others too. A few years ago I went on a trip with a boyfriend, and the experience was amazing. He was my best friend so we had so much fun. I think I would feel the same way with any good friend. So I like both, but I tend to make trips on my own and meet up with people where ever I'm headed!

Mo- That really is me in the picture...the funny thing is that it took me a year to figure out how to download the picture! I really wanted to put another shot on there, but it was too big and I don't know how to change that. Seriously, it is shameful how much I don't know!

And the church you are talking about it actually the temple. It is beautiful, isn't it? Two of my friends were married there...you should walk around the ground sometime, especially on a Saturday with all the weddings!

TP- Canoeing is fun! I haven't done that in ages. I think it is just important to enjoy whatever we are doing. I love time off for that very reason.

Mridula said...

Tracy, I too love the weekends when I do nothing. For me that is drinking lots of tea and reading a nice book, then talking a walk in the evening.