CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Camping and Climbing

Spending time with Boulderin' Boyfriend has been really good for my outdoor experience. We hike at least two times a week. They are pretty short hikes, but we are outdoors. I appreciate that, because I didn't grow up that way. I find that my appreciation for nature just continues to increase in the process. On of the funnest parts of our most recent trip to the New River Gorge was the wildlife. I didn't see anything extreme. No bears, foxes, or mountain lions, but I couldn't help but appreciate the simple pleasure of butterflies, insects, and birds.

On our first day out I was a little distraught from getting lost looking for the back trail into Sommersville Lake. Boulderin' Boyfriend and I were taking the long way around, because we had his dog with us and the normal trail requires a down climb on a ladder. Boulderin' Boyfriend was pretty sure he could find the way, even though he admitted that each time he had tried it before he got lost before finding the correct way. I guess he just wasn't expecting me to be so slow. What can I say, I'm a slow runner and a slow hiker. I didn't want to waste my energy when I knew that I would be climbing later on.
Well, after going in a big circle he dropped me off at the ladder and he found the back trail on his own.

I was hot, tired, and in a desparate need to jump into the lake (I cursed myself for forgetting my bathing suit). Fortunately I ran into good friends at the exact spot where Boulderin' Boyfriend and I planned to reunite. When he arrived they were moving on to a harder location where we would eventually join them. Since every climb in the second location was way above my level I was left to wander the scenery. It just so happened that right next to a 5.13 climb called, Apollo, I happened upon a bird's nest. It was nestled in the crack in a large boulder. It was exactly at my eye level too so I was able to chirp at the baby birds as they chirpped back at me. I loved it. My mood changed as I enjoyed the special wildlife experience.

Throughout our weekend I found myself appreciating most of the animals around me. There are some really cool beetles out there and although I was scared to hear that a black snake was following me up my last climb it was kind of cool to get back to the ground and watch the snake slowly climbing up the same crack that I had just been on. Oh, and I can't forget the tiny lizard that was in the hand slit that Boulderin' Boyfriend needed to use. Boulderin' Boyfriend tried to get the cutie out of the way by sliding a stick in the slit, but the lizard held his ground. Needless to say, Boulderin' Boyfriend had to find another way to start the climb.
However, I admit there are a few things I will never like: mosquitoes and spiders. I just don't like it when I am climbing and I have to stick my hand into a crack to find cobwebs. Gross! Then there are the mosquitoes that come around when you least expect them. The next day you are left with ten bumps on your legs and you don't even remember them being on you!
I'm really getting into the experience of camping too. Boulderin' Boyfriend and I found a really great campground for car camping with showers. I only wish we had more time to climb. I think I get better the longer I am out there. Boulderin' Boyfriend probably thinks I complain more...I get a bit whiny with him. He is teaching me a lot though and I am having fun. Below is a selection of pictures from our trip. It truly is beautiful in West Virginia, even if the people are weird (I can say that right?).
Look at this perfect crack. It was a really easy climb, but we had to climb it because it was a perfect line.











The New River Bridge is the highest suspension bridge in the Western Hemisphere. I was told that once a year people bungee jump off the bridge...that sounds very tempting. Boulderin' Boyfriend and I are posing by the bridge lookout.


Good 'ole West Virginia road signs. Just to warn you that there was a very sharp turn they decided to use their best language skills.



This is my hand after a weekend of climbing. It really isn't that bad, but it was the first time I have seen my skin peeled that way.

2 comments:

AMY_BELL - said...

Do you not say your boyfriend's name ever in your blog or do you insist on giving nicknames like "boulderin' boyfriend?" Haha, you're such a nerd. That bridge is pretty crazy. Let me know if they bungee off it, I might go with you :)

AMY_BELL - said...

By the way, it's so funny how different we are. I'm so not the outdoorsy-kind-of-girl. When did you become one?