CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Singapore Top List

Since I'm in the planning mode I couldn't neglect mentioning all the things I want to do in Singapore. When I chose this location many of my friends and family thought it was a bad idea. Either they told me it was going to be boring because it is a small city/country or they asked will you be safe there? Most people were puzzled by Singapore, but I'm so excited! I am going to experience several different cultures and I'm going to a country that takes food seriously! That is exciting since I love food.

I checked out two books from the library, but honestly my best information has come from the 5 Takes. Five twenty-somethings are traveling around the Pacific as travel journalists for the Travel Channel. Luckily for me they made a trip to New Zealand and Singapore. So I have been taking a lot of notes from the website and the show. Have I mentioned that I'm excited?

Since Singapore is a little more compact I will be able to do a lot (compared to driving all over New Zealand). So this might be a longer list...plus it is cheaper!

1. Thieves Market - flea market
2. Visit a wet market - I think this is where they sell crazy exotic foods
3. Sri Mariammam temple
4. Mustafas - A 24-hour mall that sells everything
5. Night Safari or the Zoo
6. See HDB (Housing Development Board), where thousands of Singaporeans live
7. Eat at a Hawker Center, it's like a food court, but Asian style
8. Find the fortune telling parrot
9. Changi War Museum
10. Bukit Timah Nature Reserve
11. Sentosa, an island with lots of activities (a trapeze among other things) and beaches
12. Visit the ethnic districts (Little India, Chinatown, Arab Street, etc)
13. Get a massage
14. See the Botanic Gardens, which are free
15. Ride in a trishaw
16. Rock Climb (indoor or outdoor)
17. See Labrador Park at night
18. Scuba Dive, probably at Sisters Island
19. Make a trip to Malaysia, it is only a 4-5 hour drive by bus to Kuala Lumpur
20. Go shopping!

I'm not sure if I will get it all in, but at least I have a general list of things to do. As much as I might plan, I don't know who I will meet or what I will learn when I get there so the list will most likely change! However I do need your help. I'm looking for a good place to stay. I have narrowed it down to two places which I think are the best. Check out the links and let me know what you think. Where should I stay?

The InnCrowd

or

The Betelbox

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, go and see the Esplanade, at night. Take the train down to City Hall and walk through Citylink Mall (Underground mall), down and up the esculator, pass HMV(British Music Store) and you will see the sign pointing to the Esplanade (the sign is beside the Adidas store) and you will get there in no time.

Esplanade is in a shape of a durian (a fruit.You should try it if you dare since no many foreigns love the smell or taste of it.Get them anywhere! But the bestest durian is located ay geylang) and it's named Theater at The bay which holds plays, musicals etc.

The scene there at night is fabulous!

And oh don't worry,Singapore is generally safe than any other countries. ;)

travel plaza said...

Tracy,
Singapore is a wonderful place. You will love it. I have had the good fortune of visiting Singapore, though it was a very short trip. It is quite safe and there's plenty to see.It is exotic and wonderfully clean and neat. I haven't been to Mustafas, but have heard its a great shopping experience. Enjoy!

Travelin' Tracy said...

Thanks for the tips Janis. I have been looking at the Esplanade and I knew that I would go there. I would like to see a chinese opera. I didn't know it was in the shape of a durian though...that is awesome. I will definitely be trying the fruit but I am nervous!

TP- I knew that Singapore was safe, but I had to convince others that it was. I have felt good about going there for a long time. My mom is just nervous bacuase I've never been to Asia before! I will be cautious and hopefully just fine!