CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Mother's Day Weekend

This past weekend I went to my grandparents house. My parents were already planning to make a trip because a few other family members had also planned on making the trek. So I figured it was the perfect excuse to use my sick leave and make a trip to see my grandparents before I leave for Kosova. It was really fun, even though there were moments when my grandmother was driving me crazy. I think she doesn't understand my humor and she takes everything personally, when I never mean to hurt her feelings, but I have to admit I could also have more patience with her stubborn personality.

On Mother's Day my grandma decided to invite a few of the neighbor's over to enjoy a delicious meal with our family members. It was a really delicious and filling potluck dinner and I know that I ate way too much food. However, the real highlight was not the food, but the fact that my grandpa gave a performance.

When I was really young I remember days when my grandpa would pull out his guitar and a harmonica and play music for our family in our old home. I have always thought about that, and wished he would still play, because it was so fun. I have always thought of those times as fond memories. A year ago I made a resolution to document family history for those of my family members that are still alive. I thought it would be neat to hear their stories before those opportunities are lost. Last year when I visited with my grandparents I told them that I wanted to do some sort of video documentation. I warned my grandpa that I wanted him to share his experiences from the Korean war. He never wants to talk about it, because he was stabbed in the butt while he was there. I know there are some stories that will be lost if someone does not get it from him. So that still has not happened, but at least I can say that I have a video of him singing. So enjoy this little piece of my family history!

6 comments:

AMY_BELL - said...

Hey, I think something happened with the format in the first paragraph because some of the sentences are cut off and it doesn't make sense...Aside from that, I love the video, I totally need to get a copy of that so I can post it too. Too bad it wasn't closer up, that would've been cool. I totally should've gone too but I had things here I needed to take care of. I'm so exicted to leave next week!!!

Modigliani said...

Wow ... so cool! I loved the yodeling thing on the video. I wish I had some musical talent like that.

I do agree with Amy Bell - I'm getting the same formatting issue with your first paragraph. Do you see it? The sentences are all jumbled up.

How long until you are off to Kosovo? Does their school year being in August/September like ours?

AMY_BELL - said...

Yes, I brought my webcam. You should totally come visit. I think instead of taking classes the whole 8 weeks I'm going to do it for 6 and spend the last 2 touring. I'm going bungee jumping! Come hang out with me! There's so wicked cheap hostels and so far, I've been getting by on about $10/day (minus the housing, but we can figure something out). I know you want to save but it's a once in a lifetime thing...let me know :)

AMY_BELL - said...

ps - you need to get a skype account so we can talk for free when you leave!

AMY_BELL - said...

Are you going to post something new or what?

AMY_BELL - said...

I heard about the butterfly farm place but I'm not that into nature and bugs...you should know that. I don't know, I might check it out. And, you need to make a new post!