CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Amy Made the Big Jump

Amy decided to take on a big adventure and bungee jump. I decided not to, because I am trying to save all my money for the wedding, but I was there for moral support and to take pictures. She seemed pretty determined to make the jump, but I didn't realize how much fear she had until we got to the bridge. I have to admit I was a little nervous for her too, because the location where I jumped looked so much safer. It helped that I was in New Zealand and it was the site of the first ever commercial bungee jump. They had a lot of experience and the facility looked well established. In Costa Rica it looked like they had just set up shop. They even used a different set up for her ankle harness. I didn't want to scare her though, so I didn't say anything.

I really noticed the fear when she stepped on the platform and then she looked at me. I could tell she didn't want to do this. Of course they did a count down and she didn't jump. In fact, I think they counted down four or five times (by the last time everyone who was watching was trying to encourage her on). Some people were laughing because she was a bit hysterical. She kept looking at me and would say, "I'm scared I don't want to do this...Trrracccccy!" I didn't know what to say. I told her to take a deep breath and to remember why she wanted to jump. Then I began saying that she didn't have to go through with it.

She eventually jumped and it was the funniest thing I have ever seen. Apparently she started to jump and decided against it, but it was too late. So she almost fell into a somersault. It was so funny and odd looking. And then she held onto the rope the whole way down with her hands. I think her shoulders were sore afterwards, because of her crazy fear. And when she finally was pulled back up to the bridge you could just see her hands shaking. It didn't look like she was relieved until she was on solid ground. I have a feeling it was an adventure that she will not be repeating, because she had such a huge fear. That was our last day in Costa Rica...then it was time to pack up and prepare for the trip home!















6 comments:

Modigliani said...

WOW! I've been away from blogging for about a month and A LOT sure has changed! I just read through all your new (for me) posts. :)

Congrats on the engagement and wedding planning. I love the way he proposed - so cute!

Costa Rica looks amazing, and I am super impressed with your sister's jump. I would have felt the exact same way as she did up there - but I would probably have chickened out completely! ha!

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say that I've never bungy jumped and that's something that I'd never want to do either. I was nervous, just reading about it. I'm glad that Amy survived.

Happy Villain said...

I've always wondered how people get back to safety after the jump. They get pulled back up? I imagine there's some kind of crane and not some dudes with lots of upper body strength pulling on the other end of the ropes. (Okay, now I just sound stupid, but I really never knew.)

What a wild experience! I never would have done that, but more power to the people who do!

Travelin' Tracy said...

Momo- I am so glad to get a comment from you...where have you been? Seriously, you must be wedding planning or something! Post soon!

Dav- It is a bit crazy but definitely a great adventure that I think I might repeat one day in my life. Who knows...maybe you will change your mind.

HV- Actually every bungee site is different. When I jumped they lowered me to a boat, unhooked me and then dropped me off on the side of the river. For my sister, they lowered a rope with a carabiner attached, she clipped it one and then a pulley system brought her back up (no man power there). So I guess it just depends on how high the jump is too.

KG said...

wow, i think that is so cool! i've always wanted to do something like that. tell her congrats from me for doing it. i can't imagine what it took for her to step off that platform, or roll from the look of the picture. :)

Costa Rica adventures said...

Good for her! At least she can now say to herself that she was able to Bungee Jump. Me? No way! I'll be dead from fright before the rope tightens. (LOL)